May 29, 2010

Make ice cream using baby food: Pear puree for babies = Pear ice cream for adults

I have been asked this many, many times before: "So what exactly is fruit puree?"

Well, if you wanted THE MOST accessible option, Gerber baby food is fruit puree and you can use it to make into a fruit ice cream. (In this case, I have decided to try out the Pear puree to see how fragrant it is. The last time I ate it was several years ago when I snitched a few sips from my nephew's jar while watching my aunt feed him. So I don't even have the faintest idea how it taste like - until now.)

And I can just imagine working on this recipe for a Top Chef challenge (if there ever was one like this): Given a measly budget of $3, you are required to whip up a frozen dessert item using any form of basic ingredients, processed or otherwise, bought from a supermarket.

The catch? Well, there isn't any, except that you only have 10 minutes to prepare it, 30 minutes to freeze it and the final product shouldn't look or taste cheap.

So, here goes:
80g jar of Gerber pear puree ($1.50)
50ml cream (approx. $0.50)
1 egg yolk ($0.25)
10g sugar ($0.02 or less)

Total cost: $2.27

1. Beat egg yolk and sugar until smooth and mix into cream. Pour into pot and turn on heat.
2. Cook gently until custard thickens and pour into pear puree inside bowl.

3. Hand churn ice cream.

So, the most important question is: How does it taste like?

Well, turned out a little disappointing. The pear wasn't as fragrant as it should be. The texture was very much like pear though: A little raspy with a sandy fibrous mouth feel. The custard was well-balanced, with the cream evened out by the fruit.

But I know what helps: Adding a 10ml dash of vodka while churning the ice cream! (An additional $0.53 to the cost.)

At $2.80, we still beat the challenge but I doubt it is enough to win it. But hey, you must admit baby food is a pretty neat idea for ice cream-making.

No comments:

Post a Comment