May 21, 2010

What to do this weekend: Make (Super!) Dark Chocolate Ice Cream!

I found this bar of really dark chocolate (85% cacao!) in the fridge. I don't remember who gave it to me or how it got there. Maybe it's not even mine. But I've seen it hanging around for quite a while now. All I know is that it is going to be made in a really yummy dark chocolate ice cream. (Mmmm mmm...)


So first thing's first: I take about 80g of the chocolate and break it into smaller bits in a bowl.


Then I toss them into a pot with 140ml of cream and heat it gently over a low fire.


Within minutes of heating, it melts considerably fast and becomes this gooey mess.


A few more minutes of heating transforms it into a silky, glossy chocolate paste-like texture. It is ready! Set aside.

Next up: Pour 70ml of milk, 25g of sugar and 2 egg yolks into another pot and stir swiftly to evenly mix everything up. Turn fire on and heat gently while stirring constantly until custard thickens to coat back of spoon.

Pour this cooked custard while it is still warm into the dark chocolate and cream mixture and stir evenly. Once mixed evenly, put in freezer to set. Take it out after an hour to hand whisk and leave it in the freezer to firm up.


After about 2 hours, the dark chocolate ice cream is set and ready to eat! But wait! It is frozen to a state whereby it is impossible to scoop because it is so dark and so rich in chocolate it has become a solid block.

I leave it in the chiller for about 5 minutes before I could stick a scoop in and make a ball out of it. Doesn't look that pretty but taste like damn fine dark chocolate ice cream to me.

I think some people might find this too rich and too sticky in texture. I think if you used an ice cream maker to churn this the blade might just break or the engine might use shut down. Or explode.

1 comment:

  1. omg! this recipe is great! i used a 70% cocoa chocolate and it was already freakin rich! an 85% must have tasted fabulous!

    ReplyDelete