Sep 20, 2010

How to make ice cream waffles!

Alright... It's been a while since I last put any recipes up on this blog. Was basically slacking off a little but at the same time trying to perfect the recipe for ice cream waffles before taking a couple of pictures and putting some words to it.

After a few decent attempts, I more or less got the hang of things: But I think a little bit more experimenting will yield a better taste and texture.

Anyways, here goes: A simple recipe for homemade waffles to accompany your ice cream!

What you need:
2 eggs
2 cups of flour
1 and a half cups of full cream milk
Half a cup of butter
4 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 quarter teaspoon salt
A dash of vanilla extract


1. Get yourself 2 cups of plain flour.


2. Add 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. I like brown sugar because it has an additional flavour to it. Stick to regular sugar if you must. Then add your baking powder. The rule of thumb: Add the dry ingredients together and mix it till it is nice and even.


3. Next up: Melt the butter over low heat in microwave oven and pour melted butter little by little into dry mix of ingredients. Everything will start to resemble clumps of wet sand but that's fine. Add your milk in bit by by and the next thing I did, you probably won't believe how stupid it possibly is.


4. Being the absolute genius that I am, I opted to use the electric mixer because I thought it would make my life easier. But no! The bowl I chose was simply too small, and needless to say, there was waffle batter everywhere when the electric mixer went into overdrive! Brilliant!

5. And to cut the long story short: Add your milk bit by by into the buttered-flour-sugar-baking powder mix and mix until smooth. Careful not to over mix! Use a electric mixer by all means, but grow a brain and use a much deeper bowl!

6. As the kitchen was a mess, I opted to clean the place up and quit taking pictures. But what happens next is fairly straightforward: In a separate deep bowl, crack 2 eggs, add the salt and stick the electric mixer in and start to whip the eggs until they are foamy. I tried to make them stand on peaks by whisking and whisking. But I just couldn't do it. Oh well...

7. Finally, add the frothy eggs into the buttered-flour-sugar-baking powder-milk and fold everything up nicely. As you fold in the frothy eggs you will hear this sizzling sound which I think indicates that there is air going into the mix.

8. Heat your waffle maker until nice and hot and in goes your batter. Three to 4 minutes later, out comes your waffles! Ta da!

No comments:

Post a Comment